Improper disposal of smoking material may have caused a house fire in Terrace Wednesday afternoon.
The Terrace Fire Department was called to a structure fire in the 4800 block of Park avenue shortly after 5:30.
The flames started on the outside of the building and then made their way into the attic before they were detected.
Fire crews were able to put out the flames without incident.
Emergency Social Services is providing shelter and essentials to the occupants.
The fire department is reminding people to properly dispose of all cooking ash and smoking materials in a fire-proof container.