Newly sworn in Premier John Horgan is wasting no time when it comes to the wildfires.
Today Horgan announced the state of emergency will be increased by two weeks. It expired July 21 at midnight, but will now be extended.
Horgan also announced that addition funds will go to all the families displaced for longer than two weeks.
The creation of a task for to deal directly with the wildfires was also announced today.
Horgan and the new administration plan to make a number of announcements in the coming weeks. They also plan on working together non-partisan with previous cabinet ministers on the wildfire to get supplies to residents and the crews fighting the fires.
Premier Horgan has appointed a cabinet task force with the following members:
- Hon. Doug Donaldson, Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
- Hon. Mike Farnworth, Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General
- Hon. Katrine Conroy, Minister of Children and Family Development
- Hon. Claire Trevena, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure
- Hon. Scott Fraser, Minister of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation
- Jennifer Rice, Parliamentary Secretary for Emergency Preparedness
Ministers Donaldson and Farnworth and Parliamentary Secretary Rice will travel to the Interior Thursday, July 20 to visit evacuees and local officials.