A Coroners Jury has made three recommendations after the death of Gitxsan man in Prince George police custody nearly two years ago.
The inquest verdict found that 51 year-old Jaime Wilford Shanoss died as a result of acute alcohol poisoning and classified his death as accidental.
The jury heard that Shanoss, described by witnesses as a nice guy and well mannered, was found unresponsive in cells after he was taken into custody for being intoxicated on the street.
Once of the jury’s recommendations to Northern Health and the First Nations Health Authority was the creation of a sobering centre, where police can drop off intoxicated people who have not commited a criminal offence so that they have a safe place to sober up.
The jury also made two recommendations to the City of Prince George, including a review of guard training to ensure prisoners housed in cells are checked regularly.