The City of Prince Rupert has provided more information about an ammonia leak at the municipal arena Wednesday.
The City says there was a “high pressure release” from a single tank outside the recreation facility between 4:30 and 5:00 pm.
Prince Rupert Fire Rescue evacuated the Recreation Complex, although the majority of users had left for the day.
Two people were treated in hospital for exposure to ammonia, but have since been released.
Fire crews performed several sweeps of the facilities with an ammonia detector, but there was no trace of ammonia was found.
Officials say storage procedures for all remaining ammonia on site were checked for compliance.
Based on the review, the City reopened the facilities to programs Thursday.
WorkSafe BC and Prince Rupert Fire Rescue continue to investigate the incident.