Sparks from a pellet stove and strong wind are getting the blame for a house fire in Terrace last Tuesday.
Fire Chief John Klie says an investigation between his department and the RCMP has revealed that sparks from the side chimney of the Straume Avenue home landed
on some combustible material outside. Klie says the flames then traveled from the deck up the vinyl siding and then broke into the home through a window.
Klie says the gusty wind caused the flames to accelerate rapidly and made the fire extremely difficult for fire crews at the scene. The Thornhill Volunteer Fire Department was called in to provide assistance. The flames damaged a neighbouring house, although there were no injuries.
Klie says it’s a good idea to make sure that any areas around pellet stove chimneys are kept free of debris or combustible materials.