About 50 per cent of BC adults have difficulty doing daily tasks because of limited reading and math skills.
The BC government is providing nearly $300,000 to adult literacy programs in the northwest to help people with skills they need.
Coast Mountain College will provide funding for 13 programs from Haida Gwaii to Houston.
“The college is linked to several community-based literacy providers so that adult learners can improve their literacy, numeracy or computer skills in a community setting, such as the local public library,” said Ken Burt, CMTN president in a news release. “Many of us take literacy skills for granted, but for many people it can be an obstacle to improving their success whether at home, the workplace or in the community.”
Available literacy programs include one-on-one tutoring and small group training for adult learners to help with the reading, writing, math and computer skills needed to understand budgeting, helping with homework, and joining in community activities.
The province is providing $2.4 million for 101 programs in 75 communities in 2018-19.
The 13 programs are:
* Gitanyow Education Initiatives by Gitanyow Huwilp Society: $24,800
* Cultural Learning Centre CALP by North Coast Immigrant and Multicultural Services Society in Prince Rupert: $24,800
* Community Reader and Writers Program by the Literacy Terrace Society: $28,767
* Gitxaala Nation CALP by Gitxaala Education Society: $17,425
* Community Family Literacy Program by the Houston Link to Learning Society: $21,431
* Community Adult Literacy Program by the Houston Link to Learning Society: $24,770
* Kitimat Adult Literacy Program: $24,800
* Community Learning Services – Smithers Community Services Association: $24,564
* Literacy on Wheels in Hazelton: $16,759
* Cultural Learning Connections Indigenous by Change Makers Education Society in Prince Rupert: $15,532
* Cultural Learning Connections Adult by Change Makers Education Society in Prince Rupert: $15,532
* K’yuuksxw, Waking Up to Change / Storytellers’ Foundation in Hazelton: $30,000
* Lifelong Learning on Haida Gwaii / Literacy Haida Gwaii: $30,000