Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, announced the creation of a new ad hoc Cabinet committee to coordinate federal efforts to help the many communities affected by the wildfires raging through British Columbia.
The Ad Hoc Cabinet Committee on Federal Recovery Efforts for 2017 BC Wildfires will meet as required to advise on the Government of Canada’s role in mitigation, recovery, and rebuilding efforts in response to the wildfires.
The Committee will complement the on-the-ground efforts coordinated by the Government Operations Centre.
The Government says they intend to stand with British Columbians every step of the way as they deal with the devastation caused by these wildfires, and start to rebuild their communities.
- The ad hoc Cabinet Committee will comprise:
- The Hon. Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Sports and Persons with Disabilities (Chair)
- The Hon. Karina Gould, Minister of Democratic Institutions (Vice-Chair)
- The Hon. Carolyn Bennett, Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs
- The Hon. Jean Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development
- The Hon. Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness
- The Hon. Kent Hehr, Minister Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence
- The Hon. Harjit S. Sajjan, Minister of National Defence
- The Hon. Jody Wilson-Raybould, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada