The McKay Street Park working group and BCAA are looking for volunteers to help install playground equipment.
The groups want 30 people to come out Saturday April 7th to install the new playground and pour concrete at the site.
The original build day was set for March, but frozen ground conditions caused a delay.
The McKay Street Park working group says there are a number of specifics it hopes to meet:
- 30 volunteers total (any more than that will mean that the park space is overcrowded and may hinder the pace of work).
- Volunteers must be over 18 years of age, however, there will be an activity for youth that day as well to compliment the Community Build Day
- Food and beverages will be provided to volunteers
- Volunteers to watch over the site for 12 hours following the installation to prevent acts of vandalism and to allow the concrete to set properly without interference
- Folks to haul away a bit of debris (cardboard that carries the playground equipment) – so this is an additional duty that can be volunteered for
- A number of tools, that BCAA has provided – see below for the full list, and please indicate which, if any, tools you are willing or able to provide for the build day
Those that want to volunteer for Community Build Day, or have equipment to lend for the day, should send their contact information (name, phone number, and email) to transitionprincerupert@gmail.
Prince Rupert won the BCAA PlayHere contest last summer which saw Transition Prince Rupert get $100,000 to build the playground at the site.