Immediate Evacuation Order for City of Williams Lake and surrounding areas
Williams Lake, B.C. – An Evacuation Order has been issued for Williams Lake and the following areas in the Cariboo Regional District:
• All areas east of the Fraser River from the existing evacuation order at Soda Creek to 9.0 km south of the Sheep Creek Bridge, including English Road
• Directly east to the southern end of Chimney Lake, continuing east to Wright Station Road at the north end of Lac La Hache
• All areas west of Highway 97 from Wright Station Road to the Williams Lake City limits, north along Highway 97, including all fringe areas of the City of Williams Lake including the areas of Fox Mountain, Pine Valley, Commodore Crescent, Glendale, Wildwood, Bull Mountain and Deep Creek not already evacuated, to the exiting evacuation order area at Soda Creek.
This means that all individuals in the City and the above areas must evacuate immediately.
Follow Highway 97 South to Highway 24 (South of 100 Mile House); follow Highway 24 to Little Fort; turn right onto Highway 5 at Little Fort and continue to Kamloops and register at the ESS Centre located at Thompson Rivers University located at 805 TRU Way, in Kamloops. If you have questions about locating an ESS Reception Centre please call 1-800-585-9559.
The City of Williams Lake has activated 12 zones within its boundaries, each of which has a muster point. There are no muster points in any of the surrounding areas. Residents in these areas who are unable to self-evacuate must make their way to a muster point in the City immediately as buses departing the City cannot wait indefinitely. If residents are unable to get to a muster point, please call the RCMP at 250-392-6211 immediately. If you do not call, there is no way to know that you require assistance. If you have already self-identified to the EOC and you are unable to travel to a muster point, please shelter in place until help arrives.
Evacuation Muster Zone Maps and other emergency information are available on the City’s website athttp://www.williamslake.ca/253/Evacuation-Map
When you evacuate:
• Turn off water, gas and electricity, if time
• Take an emergency survival kit with you (eg. battery powered radio, flashlight, water, food, warm clothing)
• Take identification and prescription medicine for your family (and pets)
• Listen to the radio and follow instructions from local emergency officials
• Lock up your home
• Follow the specified routes. Don’t take shortcuts as you could wind up in blocked or dangerous areas
• If you have time, leave a note telling others where you are going.
For updated information relating to the City of Williams Lake, please visit williamslake.ca or facebook.com/CityWilliamsLake or @CityWL or 250-392-2364.
For updated information relating to the CRD, please visit cariboord.ca or the facebook.com/CRDEmergencyOperations or @CaribooRD or 1-866-759-4977.