A number of Aboriginal youth across the northwest were recognized for their skills in sports at the Premier’s Awards for Aboriginal Youth Excellence in Sport for the Northwest region.
The youth recognized include:
- Brendan Eshom, age 14, Basketball, Soccer, Gitga’at/Tsimshian First Nations
- Elijah Azak, age 16, Basketball, Soccer, Nisga’a Nation
- Harold Moore, age 17, Soccer, Haida Nation
- Jadyn Johnston, age 12, Swimming, Carrier Chilcotin
- Kleanza Cathers, age 16, Swimming, Nisga’a Nation
- Madison McKay, age 14, Basketball, Softball, Volleyball, Nisga’a Nation
- Teysean Henry, age 13, Figure Skating, Lax’kwalaams
The regional recipients automatically serve as nominees for the Provincial Awards that take place in Kelowna in March. A total of 12 Provincial Awards (six male and six female) will be selected in January.