As Canada continues to celebrate 150 years and the talk of reconciliation is in the wake of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, the Calgary Stampede has announced the chiefs of the Treaty 7 First Nations will lead this year’s parade.
This isn’t a first for the parade: the Treaty 7 chiefs also headed up the annual event in 1989 and 1977.
Before 1977 there had never been an Indigenous person at the front of the parade.
This year’s marshals are:
- Chief Roy Fox of the Kainai.
- Chief Stanley Grier of the Piikani.
- Chief Joseph Weasel Child of the Siksika.
- Chief Darcy Dixon of Bearspaw.
- Chief Ernest Wesley of Wesley.
- Chief Aaron Young of Chiniki.
- Chief Lee Crowchild of Tsuu T’ina.
The Calgary Stampede takes place from July 7th-16th.